Content marketing – what should I focus on?
Too often a company's content marketing strategy is based around “we sell this service, here’s why you should buy it, and here’s why you should buy it from us.” The trouble is that this approach doesn’t always work.
People need more than just the basic facts if they’re going to choose your company over a competitor. They need to feel a positive human connection with your business.
Top tips for creating effective content marketing:
- Educate, entertain and add value to your customer relationships. Show why your products and services matter and how it makes a positive difference to people’s lives by creating content that’s engaging and easy to read.
- Understand your audience and how they will view your content. Take Millennials for example. This growing segment of new buyers spends the majority of their digital media time on smart-phones and tablets. As a result you need to make sure that your website is optimised for mobile.
- Use video content where possible. It grabs their attention, keeps them engaged and builds a positive relationship with them.
- Use social media to publish your best material. Doing this allows you to communicate with customers in a space where they’re already comfortable.
- Publish regularly. People tend to buy from companies that they have a positive connection with.
- Don’t expect instant success. Allow at least six months of creating high quality content before you judge your efforts.
- Start this week. Very few medium sized companies have a content marketing strategy in place so now is a good time to make an impact in a relatively underdeveloped space.
Content marketing has grown to become one of the best ways in which you reassure potential customers of your professionalism, knowledge and expertise. Plus it can increase the number of people coming to your website and boost your Google ranking - leading to more sales and business growth.